Briza Publications author Suzanne J. Milton (BABSc, PhD), born July 1952 in Cape Town, married to ornithologist Dr. W.R.J. Dean Sue Milton worked as an ecologist from 1977 to 2005, carrying out research in the arid and semi-arid parts of South Africa, and lecturing on a part-time basis on conservation issues at Western Cape Universities. With Dr Richard Dean she now runs Renu-Karoo Veld Restoration cc, supplying advice, seeds and indigenous plants for Karoo veld restoration and landscaping (www.renu-karoo.co.za). She also consults on botanical and natural veld issues in the central and southern Karoo.
Suzanne J. Milton’s overarching interest is the conservation and sustainable use of natural resources. To this end Suzanne and Richard established Wolwekraal Nature Reserve in Prince Albert to protect the local flora and provide environmental education. Research ranges from sustainability of browsing of thorn trees in KwaZulu Natal to picking of ferns from indigenous forests, and for the past 20 years, of grazing in Karoo veld. Since 1987 Sue Milton and Richard Dean have managed the Tierberg Karoo Research Centre where they conducted long-term experiments on Karoo bird, plant population and community responses to nutrient enrichment, drought and grazing.
After a decade of research in the Karoo, Richard Dean (UCT) and Suzanne J. Milton edited the book The Karoo Ecological Patterns and Processes that gathers together the ecological knowledge of this region. The Briza publication Karoo Veld Ecology and Management, edited by Esler, Milton and Dean, is based on a guide of the same name by Milton and Dean published 10 years earlier. Suzanne Milton has also published 120 papers in scientific journals, 50 popular articles and 10 chapters in various books. A book entitled Restoring Natural Capital and dealing with valuation of the restoration of ecosystem goods and services (eds. Aronson, Milton & Blignaut), was published by Island Press in 2007.
Furthermore Suzanne has also received the Molteno Medal for service to conservation in the Western Cape (Nov. 2004), the Prestige Award of Grassland Society of Southern Africa (July 2005), and honorary lifetime membership to the Ecological Society of America (March 2013).
Books by Suzanne J. Milton
Click on the titles below to shop online at shop.briza
More publications by Suzanne J. Milton
- Barnes, R.D., Filer, D.L. & Milton, S.J. 1996. Acacia karroo monograph and annotated bibliography. Tropical Forestry paper 32. Oxford Forestry Institute, Oxford, U.K. pp. 77.
- Barnes, R.D., Fagg, C.W. & Milton, S.J. 1997. Acacia erioloba monograph and annotated bibliography. Tropical Forestry Papers 35. Oxford Forestry Institute, Oxford, U.K. pp. 66.
- Dean, S.J., Holmes, P.M. & Weiss P.W. 1986. Seed biology of invasive alien plants South Africa and South West Africa/Namibia. In: Macdonald I A W , Kruger F J & Ferrar A A (eds) 1986. The Ecology of Biological Invasions in southern Africa. Oxford University Press, Cape Town, Ch. 12, pp. 157-170
- Dean, W.R.J. & Milton, S.J. (eds) 1999. The Karoo, ecological patterns and processes. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K. 374 pp, 20 chapters, 35 authors Esler, K.J., Milton, S.J. & Dean, W.R.J. (eds) 2006. Karoo Veld – Ecology and Management. Briza Press, Pretoria. 224 pages. ISBN 1 875093 52 4 (English), ISBN 1 875093 55 9 (Afrikaans).
- Dean, W.R.J. & Milton, S.J. 1999. Animal foraging and food. Pages164-177 in Dean, W.R.J. & Milton, S.J. (eds) The Karoo, ecological patterns and processes. Cambridge University Press, , Cambridge, U.K. 374 pp.
- Kemp, A.C., Dean, W.R.J., Whyte, I.J., Milton, S.J. & Benson, P.C. 2003. Birds: responders or contributors to resource heterogeneity’. Pages 276-291 n: du Toit, J.T., Biggs, H.C. & Rogers, K.H. (eds) The Kruger Experience: Ecology and Management of Savanna Heterogeneity. Island Press, Washington, D.C. Dean, W.R.J. & Milton, S.J. 2005. The natural history of Prince Albert. In Thomas, D. (ed.) Prince Albert ‘landmark events, colourful characters and lifestyle of an historic Karoo town. Prince Albert Writers Guild, Prince Albert. ISBN 0-620-33361-8. Printed by Formsxpress, Retreat, Cape Town.
- Lonsdale, M. & Milton, S. 2002 People and plant invasions of the rangelands. Pages 101-116 in Grice, A.C. (ed.) Global rangelands: progress and prospects. CABI Publishing, 320 pp. ISBN 0851995233.
- Milton, S.J. (ed.) 1979. The ecology of Bundu Farm. Habitat Working Group, University of Cape Town and the South African Exploration Society (S.O.S) pp. 142. Outdoor education manual for use at the Bundu Farm Outdoor Education Centre “School in the Wilds”, Villiersdorp, Cape.
- Milton, S.J. & Dean, W.R.J. 1996. Karoo Veld: Ecology and Management. Range and Forage Institute, Agricultural Research Council, Pretoria, 94 pp.
- Milton, S.J., Yeaton, R.I., Dean, W.R.J. & Vlok, J.H.J. 1997. Succulent Karoo. Pages 131-166 in R.M. Cowling, D.M. Richardson & S.M. Pierce (eds) Vegetation of Southern Africa. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K. 615 pp.
- Milton, S.J., Davies, A.G. & Kerley, G.I.H. 1999. Population level dynamics. Pages 183-207 in: Dean, W.R.J. & Milton, S.J. (eds). The Karoo, ecological patterns and processes. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K. 374 pp.
- Milton, S.J., Zimmermann, H.G. & Hoffmann, J.H. 1999. Alien plants. Pages 274-287 in: Dean, W.R.J. & Milton, S.J. (eds). The Karoo, ecological patterns and processes. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K. 374 pp.
- Milton, S.J. & Wiegand, T. 2001. How grazing turns rare seedling recruitment events to non-events in arid environments. Pages 197-207 in Breckle S.-W., Veste, M. & Wucherer, W. (eds) Sustainable Land-Use in Deserts Springer, Heidelberg.
- Richardson, D. M., Bond, W. J., Dean, W. R. J., Higgins, S. I., Midgley, G. F., Milton, S. J., Powrie, L. W., Rutherford, M. C., Samways, M. J. & Schulze, R. E. 2000. Invasive alien organisms and global change: a South African perspective. Pages 303-349 in: Mooney, H. A. & Hobbs, R. J. (eds) Invasive species in a changing world. Island Press, Washington, D.C.